Here are the top 10 ways to reduce your dependence on oil from Green Peace International. By adopting these tips you are also reducing demand for that sticky substance that has led to the devastation in the Gulf Coast.
1. Carpool, cycle or use public transport to go to work.
2. Choose, when possible, products packaged without plastic and recycle or re-use containers.
3. Buy organic fruits and vegetables (fertilisers and pesticides are based on oil more often than not).
4. Buy beauty products (shampoo, soap, make-up) based on natural ingredients, not oil.
5. Choose when possible locally produced products (less transport involved).
6. Buy clothes made out of organic cotton or hemp - not from oil derivatives.
7. Use non-disposable items in picnics and summer festivals.
8. Stop buying bottled water.
9. Fly less.
10. Demand that your government encourage renewable energy instead of subsidizing oil.
OVERALL RATING (for using reducing your oil use):
To find out what you can do to help with the Gulf Oil Spill, click here.